There are more than one ways to restrict access to USB ports that most of the schools, collages and offices uses for security reasons. In this post I am going to tell you how to unblock USB ports or in simple words how to enable or disable access to USB port or device.
The basic two methods are:
- Disabling USB Ports from Device manager
- Changing Registry values for USB devices
What is USB Port?
By name USB stands for Universal Serial Bus a device developed in the mid-1990s. A USB post is a standard cable connection interface which supplies power to computer peripherals like mouse, keyboard and printers. Its allows such electronic devices to be connected to a computer via. cable.
Besides, supplying power to electronic devices a USB port also allows data to be transferred between devices. It was invented by an Indian-American computer architect Ajay Bhatt.
1.How to Enable USB Port from Device manager
- Go to Start > Run and type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and press enter to open device manager.
- Now look for ‘Universal Serial bus Controller’ – Expand the list and find if there is any red colored cross.
- If yes, simply right click on it and enable it.
Now insert your USB device again, if it works fine, then great otherwise head-on to next solution.
2.Changing Registry values for USB devices
- Go to Start > Run and type ‘regedit’ and press enter to open open registry editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesUSBSTOR
- Double click on ‘Start’ to change its value to 3 and press ‘OK’.